Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Practice Makes Perfect?

 I'm just beginning to realize how much practice is involved in being a musician.

There are times I play the same 12 notes over and over for an hour and it still doesnt sound *exactly like how I want it to.

But that magic that happens when it does? Suddenly, the results of the work are evident and forgotten are the hurting fingers, the times of frustration. Just bliss. Pure bliss.

Melody working hand in hand with harmony, all under the structure of rhythm and tempo.  Few things are better.

As I type this post, I'm beginning to wonder.
Do I put this  same amount of effort in other areas of my life? Do I pursue godliness with the same determination and excitement that I have in say, learning those twelve notes?
Daily? truthfully? no.

But what if I did? How much more magnificent would the bliss be gained  from dwelling in His presence and meditating on His gospel work.
From intentionally setting aside time to pray throughout the day.
From practicing those good works set before me.

For me, it's a good mirror on my heart, and I urge you to look at your own life.
What is your passion? Your drive? What do you do in your free time? What do you daydream about?
How often do practice or work at a specific task or hobby and how can you use it to glorify God?
How can you use it become closer to Him?

In this world we will never be perfect, but sanctification is something we must strive for.
Meditate on the gospel daily, hourly, and never underestimate it's power.


 "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.            
                                       Romans 8:1 -6 

Practice, and I think you will be surprised at the results.

 "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. "
                                                                                                                           1 Corinthians 9:24-27

"You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

                                                         Psalm 16:11

1 comment:

  1. You speak to my heart, friend, and you speak truth. Have you read the book "Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life", by Donald Whitney? I've been working my way through it for awhile now, and it's quite remarkable in its potential to alter lives in this regard. We're all so prone to use our time and our lives in frivolous ways to delight our own silly selves, forgetting that the greatest delight available is found in God. Ironically, we're selling ourselves short by selfishly neglecting our relationship with Him.

    Thanks for writing. :) I needed the reminder.

    ReplyDelete