Tuesday, July 5, 2011

An Education in Cereal

So I take a lot of pictures of my food.

I have comes to terms with this oddity and have no plans to reform.

I like texture and color and beauty, and I like discovering it in surprising places.

Even my cereal bowl.




Other people collect tiny pieces of paper that have jagged edges. I don't see a problem.



And have no fear, it could be worse. It took me 26 seconds to find these three pictures on Google images.












Not only did an individual take these pictures, but thought that they were worth the time to upload (presumably with a dial-up connection) and then share with the world.

Really?

 

But back on topic. food.

Today I had Frosted Mini-Spooners (otherwise known as MiniWheats) for breakfast for the first time in a very long time, and was reminded of my childhood.

 
Call me crazy, but I've always loved the odd texture. It was also one of the few cereals that actually contained visible sugar that ever entered my home....

Unless you count raisin bran.
frightful.


To this day, I believe there is only one proper way to eat this cereal, and that is upside down.
Not you as a person, (that would be the height of absurdity, not to mention untidiness..... all that milk dribbling everywhere! For shame!)

No, rather like so:


That way the white crumbly, delightful sugary sweetness is the first thing you taste.

I must confess, when I was young, after pouring a bowl, before I put the milk in, I would pick and choose the ones with the most frosting. The little naked ones would promptly get tossed back into the bag, as would the ones with just a sprinkling. Only the heavily covered squares were deemed acceptable for my advanced 7 year old palate. 


Dear family,
I apologize for man-handling your cereal...  I'm sorry you never knew, but I guess now you do.
And now I guess you also know the reason that Mini Spooners always seemed to come with less frosting than those expensive Wheaties. It wasn't just because Michael Jordan wasn't on the cover, or that it was the off brand.....


My sneaky fingers are remorseful. But not very.

Love,

This Blogger.

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet ... and I intend that pun with all the vim in my pun-scorning being. :)

    ReplyDelete